Monday, March 26, 2012

Psalm 22 - A Prophecy of the Cross of Christ

Psalm 22 is one of the two texts in the Old Testament that I consider most clearly Messianic. The other one is found in Isaiah 53. It is great that in our study through the psalms this is scheduled to be preached right at the beginning of the Passion week!

What makes this psalm so amazing is the fact that even though it was written about 1000 years before Christ, it reads “as if it were actually recorded at the foot of the cross.” It is clearly prophetic (see 2 Peter 1:19-21) since there aren’t any events in the life of David that correspond to this event.

MAIN IDEA : The Son of God will be forsaken by God and put to death, yet he remains fully confident in the faithfulness of God to deliver Him, and praises God for the nations who will come to worship from the ends of the earth.

Notice the use of Psalm 22 in Matthew (from ESV Study Bible):

Ps. 22:18

They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots.

Matt. 27:35

Ps. 22:7

All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads.

And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads.

Matt. 27:39

Ps. 22:8

“He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”

He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, “I am the Son of God.”

Matt. 27:43

Ps. 22:1

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Matt. 27:46

OUTLINE (ESV):

Ps. 22:1–2 Why Have You Forsaken Me?

Ps. 22:3–5 Yet the Lord Has Been Our Trust.

Ps. 22:6–8 Yet I Am Derided.

Ps. 22:9–11 But the Lord Has Cared for Me All My Life.

Ps. 22:12–18 I Am Surrounded by Enemies.

Ps. 22:19–21 Save Me as You Have Done Before!

Ps. 22:22–31 Praise Will Result: From Me, From Israel, From All Nations. The song closes with confidence that when God answers the prayer, the singer will be vindicated and will again be able to join with God’s people in worship.

ISSUES for DISCUSSION

1) Why do you think that this psalm should be classified as Messianic?

2) How do you react when you feel forsaken by God?

3) How is your understanding of Old Testament enhanced by the study of this psalm?

4) Is there anything in this prayer/psalm that can help enhance your prayer life? What?

5) Does this psalm help you understand better Jesus’ cry on the cross (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)

No comments: