Monday, March 19, 2012

The Battle Belongs to the Lord

”One Almighty is more than all mighties.William Gurnall

Psalm 19 was a breath of fresh air and I learned much, especially to humble myself, confess my sins, and appeal for power to God as my Rock and Redeemer.

While psalm 19 is fairly well known, I must confess that I cannot remember anyone ever preaching from psalms 20 and 21. By God’s grace, I am preparing to preach from psalm 20 on Sunday, skip psalm 21 (they are both royal psalms), and then preach from Psalm 22 (a Messianic psalm) on the Sunday before Good Friday. Then the plan is to preach from Psalm 23 after Resurrection Sunday.

Since I have not had the chance to do an in-depth study of this psalm yet, this outline relies again on Steven Lawson.

For comparison, Kraus has the following title: Prayer for the King. Craigie has A King’s Departure for Battle. My title is from Lawson, but it will most likely change by Sunday!

MAIN IDEA: David describes the prayer for military victory offered for him by the people before he leads the armies of Israel into battle.

TEACHING OUTLINE:

A. The Petitions for the King (1-5)

1. For God’s protection (1)

2. For God’s power (2)

3. For God’s prosperity (3-5)

B. The Prayer of the King (6-8)

1. God saves the king (6)

2. God secures victory (7-8)

C. The Pleadings for the King (9)

1. SAVE the king (9a)

2. Answer our prayers (9b)

QUESTIONS:

1. How is psalm 20 relevant for the church and for the individual Christian?

2. What are our battles and how should we prepare for them?

3. Do you see any connections between this psalm and 1 Tim 2:1-4.

4. Since we are approaching Palm Sunday, do you see any relationship/contrast between this psalm and Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem?

Please note that the questions are preliminary. Please send me any other questions or ideas that may help with the teaching of this psalm!

Many blessings and joy,

Pastor Cristian

No comments: